Senior Business Intelligence Consultant - SAP BODS - DataVault at the European Commission
up to 10k/month
European Commission is looking to reinforce the Data Delivery team with a technical expert with experience in business intelligence focusing on data warehousing engineering.
About this IT position
DG HR is implementing its Data Governance framework, within the larger context of the DataStrategy@HR Family1, aligned with the corporate European Commission Digital and Data Strategies.
The unit supports DG HR’s mission to drive excellence in human resource management for the European Commission and other Institutions it serves. It also supports DG HR’s key business objectives, which are promoting an efficient, transparent and agile organisation, making the best use of its talents and fostering well-being and engagement of staff.
We aim to do this by providing state-of-the-art, user-friendly, accurate and cost-effective business intelligence products and services for HR professionals, line managers and HR policy decision makers.
Services including standard reports, self-service dashboards, advanced analytics, publications and HR data governance coordination.
The Unit is structured in five teams:
• OUTREACH: which helps clients in retrieving and interpreting the data and information, understands clients’ needs and enables self-service through tools and training;
• PIONEER: to conduct forward analyses, to explore new possibilities and identify innovations fit for adoption;
• SOLVE: which delivers HR BI dashboards (QlikSense and QlikView) and standard reports (Business Objects); it also answers to non-regular requests and solves technical problems;
• DATA DELIVERY: which is equipped with resources to work on the technical task of renewing the data foundation and engineering the future HR Business Intelligence; • DATA GOVERNANCE: to lead the creation and implementation of the Data Strategy @HR family
The development, maintenance and the associated security of the HR Data Warehouse use the following technologies:
• Oracle RDBMS (12c)
1 The HR Family comprises DG HR, EPSO, PMO, OIB, OIL with DIGIT as the IT solution provider.
• SAP Business Objects Data Services
• Data Modelling (PowerDesigner EA v16.6)
• Data Vault model 2.0
Reporting solutions are developed using the following technologies:
• Business Objects ( SAP BI 4.2)
• Web Intelligence Rich Client, Designer, CMC, InfoView
• Qlik product family (V12)
Methodologies, frameworks, standards:
• Agile methodology
• PM2project management methodology
The IT challenge
• Design and develop enterprise and departmental business intelligence and data warehousing solutions
• Collaborate with project leads, business analysts, end users and third-party contacts to design, implement and test data warehouse applications – be participant to the Definition of Ready and Definition of Done;
• Design and implement ETL processes and their supporting validation tests (TDD – test driven development) in support of business analytics and reporting;
• Develop and perform unit, system, performance and regression testing on ETL mappings and linked BI components
• Create source-to-target mapping specifications for the BI components used in ETL development
• Follow established coding standards, perform code reviews and improve standards to assure compliance and quality
• Support and improve production data integration
• Provide technical and business knowledge support to the team
• Ensure effective definition and communication of user requirements
The European Commission is looking for a Senior Business Intelligence Consultant with the following profile:
• Level of education corresponding to level 7 of the European Qualifications
Framework (which typically corresponds to a master’s level or 5 years of higher
• A minimum number of years of professional experience in Business analysis or
Information system design/development of 11 years;
• Experience working within an Agile/Scrum Methodology Framework;
• Extensive Data Warehouse experience using SAP BODS (Business Objects Data
Services) (Repository Manager, ETL Mapping/Transformations/Job Scheduling, Process Optimization), PowerDesigner, Oracle DB;
• Excellent knowledge of Data Vault concepts;
• Deep experience in data quality applied to Data Warehouse / DataVault;
• Experience of preparing FSD/TSD (Functional/Technical Specification Document)
documents from BRD (Business Requirement Document) / Customer Requirements;
• Extensive experience in designing and modelling using modeling tools like
• Thoroughly proficient in SQL and PL/SQL development in Oracle;
• High level of proficiency in using SAP Business Intelligence suite, primarily the SAP
BODS (Business Objects Data Services) tooling;
• Knowledge of SAP Information Steward and SAP Data Intelligence is a considered a
• A valid certification in a recognized quality assurance standard is considered a plus
(i.e. ISTQB), certification in data and analytics testing is considered a big plus (i.e.
• Excellent verbal communication skills and ability to participate in multilingual
meetings in English and to understand, speak, and write in English (C1 level), French
is considered a plus;
Salary and Conditions
Location: Brussels, BE
Salary up to: 500€/day
Worksite type: On-site and Remote
Contract type: Freelancer or Employee
Requires EU nationality: Yes
Job type: Outsourcing
Client: European Commission
Other points of the offer
Currently due to COVID, the job will be performed 100% remotely, but with restriction that the consultant must be max 300km away from the Brussels office. From September onwards, it will required 1 day per week in the office (on-site).
The salary/daily rates presented are the maximum as a freelancer when meeting all criteria.
Belgium permanent employment contract is also one option, with salaries around 3000-3500€ (value after all taxes), when meeting all criteria.
Feel free to send us a message to know how much could you get precisely.
You will be hired by an IT consulting company that has a contract with the European Commission, you won't have any contract with the European Commission.
You have successfully applied for the job.
We have created a Sprint CV account which allows you to automate your CV, for free, forever. Log in, review your profile and generate your CV in any of the many different templates that we have for you.
P.S: First, you'll need to go to your email to activate your account.